Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Dust is Settling...

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it. I know that there will be good days and bad days, but "life goes on" says my "big" little brother! I'm not going to let them get me down.

I was running a 5k yesterday and kept thinking about it, when I realized that I need to focus on me and MY life. I feel like a wreck this week, but I shouldn't. It's okay to be sad, but miserable...Not Okay with me! Love has been so supportive these past 3 days. When I cry, he just holds me. He listens when I talk about it. He gives me his honest opinion. He is my rock!! I can already feel how this is changing our relationship for the better. We are both the same way, we only want to get married one time....preferably to each other. That's why we don't push the whole marriage thing. We're letting it take its course. I know that it will be a long road and it will be hard, but I am strong and I always survive....ALWAYS!

Onto cooler things...eating this weekend was not perfect, but not horrible. My worst choices were: wine(2 bottles), the cheesecake, and the late night chips, salsa and queso. Then again, it was all done in moderation(except the wine...yikes)! I am not weighing myself though so I can't say I have a gain or a loss. I can say...I am STILL A 6! Haha! ***TMI is coming up in the next sentence*** I only skipped running on Sunday though(I was hungover), but I threw up just about everything in my body that I had eaten in 2 days....it made me feel so much better!!

Like I said, I ran a 5k last night and I felt so good. My time was long, but I haven't done neighborhoods or HILLS yet. So, i'll be working on speed and such for the next few weeks and then I will dive into 10k or maybe i'll just start 10k training today!

Does anybody have any tips for working on speed?

4 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so glad you have your man to lean on while you go through this!

I started doing speed once a week in July and I think it made a HUGE difference in my training and was a major factor in my PR this weekend.

I did my workouts with a group and a running coach, but we'd usually start off with a mile warm-up and then do sprints. At the beginning we did almost all 400's and then worked are way up. The worst workout we did that I can remember is 8 X 800, I wanted to puke at the end of that workout!

You can find some great speed workouts online - try Runners World. Or you could check with your local running store to see if there is a group you can join. That's where I found the group I ran with and it was completely free! Good luck!

Katie said...

Thanks for the encouragement :]

I am so sorry to hear about your parents.. that has gotta be really tough :/ My thoughts are with you & your family. Keep your head up!

Great job with running the 5k! I cannot wait until I have come far enough to run like that.

Anonymous said...

Hi just got your comment! I dont know what I think about the Nike+ so far! So far I have been having a lot of trouble with it. I dont know....

But what I do know is that I got a little pouch thingy that laces on the shoes I already have for $8.99. Seems like a deal. But as you might have read, I'm having a hard time getting readings on my sensor. I'm going to give it another whirl tonight and report back how it works....
It seems awesome in theory, I just need to figure out how to use it properly!

Stand Up said...

Two great tips to work on speed:

Interval training is ...amazing. It actually sucks but has great outcome. What you do is sprint for 2 minutes, jog slow two minutes, sprint 2 minutes, job slow for 2 min...etc. DO this until you have sprinted a total of ten minutes. If you haven't done a lot of this before, then your outcome might be at first : not sprinting, exactly, just a faster run. and not about to do 2 minutes, maybe one. or not about to do it 5 times. But that's ok. Work this into your running schedule 1-2 times per week (depending on if you run 4-5 times per week) and you will see when you run next, you will be running faster, picking up you thighs and lengthing your strides will all feel much easier.

The other thing to do is biking. I have always found that biking, especially that really challenges you will hills, really builds your thighs fast and once again, will make your running strides much faster and you will pick up your feet better.

Hope this helps. if ylet me know! I don't run much anymore....(yikes!) but I trained and ran for 5ks, a 25k, and a marathon. Motivation is keeeyyy. Injuries are just obsticles, not barriers. ( I had 3 in my marathon training)

anyway, thanks for stopping by my site earlier. it sounds like you have a great guy to hold onto.

you make me jealous! size 6! problem with me is I never lose weight! I didnt drop ONE pound when I trained for my marathon! so nice job for you! I'm impressed. (I just have no control over eating hehe)

well ttyl!
Suzy